Monday, November 30, 2009

The Thanksgiving Aftermath

It’s Friday, the day after Thanksgiving and I am still recovering from all the food I ate yesterday. It’s almost 4 pm and I still feel full. I’m taking a little break from cooking – I invited the other assistants to my apartment tonight to celebrate my birthday and also to have a little housewarming for the studio. I’m preparing some Mexican food and hoping that everything will work out since I’m using the ingredients I could find. For example, I decided to make a salsa fresca instead of guacamole because there was no way I was going to pay almost $7 dollars for 3 avocados! But, I bought a Turkish pepper to substitute the jalapeno. I’m scared that it’ll be either too spicy or not spicy at all.

The Thanksgiving dinner was awesome. It made me feel like I was back at home! The turkey was great despite the fact that we all had to pitch in 5 euros each because it ended up costing 99 euro – almost $150!!!!


All the other dishes were great too! And all made with French ingredients. I expected them to taste different, but the traditional flavor was still there. Erin went all out and decorated the apartment for the event – she even made place cards!



Tomorrow, I’ll be going to Bourgogne (Burgundy), the neighboring region with Gilles, an English teacher at the lycée. He offered to take me to Cluny, a small town known for its abbey (or what’s left of it) and wine. He also mentioned that on the way back home, we would stop by several caves (wineries) and taste some of the wine. I’m really excited for this trip! I invited Maggie and Megan to come with me. They are coming to Villefranche tomorrow morning. We’re meeting up with Gilles at the gare (train station) and then we’ll spend the day visiting the Beaujolais region.




It’s going to be a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment