Friday, November 6, 2009

Déjà Novembre


Fall in France has been like nothing I have ever seen - the trees look amazing! I had never been able to experience the changes associated with Fall since there are not very many trees like this in SoCal. I don't think that I would have ever been able to imagine how possible it is for green to turn into red, orange, and gold.

6 weeks, and counting....

It's hard to believe that I left home 6 weeks ago - who am I kidding? I DO BELIEVE IT!
The reason I know it has been that long is because my life has been full of daily paperwork, planning, scheduling, and apartment hunting.

But I'm hoping that it will all start to change.

After only about 2 weeks of actual work, I found myself on my first school break for the Toussaint holiday in France. I had about a week and a half off, but that suddenly turned into 2 full weeks since the teacher I was supposed to work with yesterday, was out sick.

I didn't plan on going anywhere or doing anything since I needed to find a place to live. I did some apartment searching before I came to France, but I didn't do as much as I should have. I was thinking that it was going to be an easy task - definitely assumed wrong.





But alas, I found my home!
Getting this place was no easy task - it was like a soap opera...

I remember that I visited it only to have the lady tell me the next day that it was already rented out. Then, after about 2 weeks, I get a call from the lady saying that it was available again - what luck!
But, after meeting with the agent and the landlady, I had to wait until I got my checkbook (which I later found out had not been ordered by the lady at the bank) to get the keys.
I place the order for the checks only to have them tell me to come back on Tuesday - had to cancel my rendez vous and wait until the next day!
Finally, Wednesday: I get my checkbook and get the keys to the studio....what a relief!!


I will not be living in Lyon for the following reasons:
  1. It's about an hour commute to Villefranche.
  2. Transportation expenses would be insane (Lyon Metro + TER Train + Bus in Villefranche = €€€€)
  3. This studio is furnished (futon, table, shelves, kitchen, dishes, blanket)
  4. I can get the lease under my name and get help from the CAF (org that helps pay rent)
I am a little scared that I will be bored out of my mind since I am in the small town setting, but I will make the most of it. I ran into the other English assisntant who works at the other high school and  from her description....Let's just say that she is happy that I am here to keep her sane.

Plus, I want to use this opportunity to practice my French, since in Lyon I would almost always run into an English speaker, and get an idea as to how life is outside of the city in France. I don't think that very many people get a chance to experience this.

The studio does feel lonely since I was living with Guillaume, and then with Maggie and Megan for about a week, but I am in the process of decorating it and making it more of a "home". I'll also try to plan a housewarming of somekind and invite the assistants from the town to come over - I should probably check how many seats I have first :)

Things are starting to turn around and I think I might be done with paperwork soon - then I can finally assimilate the French way of life.

A + ( French way of saying "see you later" = a plus )

2 comments:

  1. Haha yeah I guess it is....Ive been putting stuff up because the pink is really starting to annoy me!

    ReplyDelete