Thursday, October 1, 2009

1st Day at Work

6 am - My alarm goes off. I get up still half asleep and start to get ready.

6:40 am - I leave the apartment and start my journey to the train station. I forgot how I am not used to wearing dress shoes so now, I have blisters to take care of :/

7:10 am - The train leaves for Villefranche.

7:45 am - I arrive in Villefranche and walk over to the bus stop.

8: 05 am - Step off the bus and realize that I had made a good guess because the school was just across the street.

8: 10 am - Walk into the Teachers' Lounge and wait for someone to come get me.

9 am - and still waiting, so I go to the office and ask what's up. They then look up the schedule and find out where I need to go.

9:10 am - I walk to room A301 to meet one of the English professors - M. Bonnet. I walk in and we chat briefly and he tells me to meet him in the lounge at 9:50, during the break.

9:15 am - I'm back in the lounge waiting.

10 am - Fool didn't show and I was starting to get a little frustrated. I go back to the office hoping that the secretaries aren't annoyed because I don't know what to do. They tell me that M. Bonnet has classes til noon.

10:55 am - I wait outside his classroom so that I can talk to him real quick between classes.

11 am - Finally! I talk to him only to have him present me to another English teacher, Anissa. She then takes me all around the building looking for other English teachers - turns out that they don't know each others' schedule because we found no one - only the Spanish teacher who for some reason, had been expecting me.

I guess I was known of before I showed up in person because the Spanish teacher in French says 'oh! you are the English assistant of Mexican descent that can speak Spanish too!'

The only thing I could think of was: If I work for Spanish also, does that mean double the pay?! But, probably not.

Noon - 1pm - I finish at the school and make my way to the train station to head back to Lyon, with my new Lycée Louis Armand keycard and a set of keys for the classrooms. I get back to Lyon at 1 and head to the apartment to change.

And I'm here. Day one is done and besides all the waiting and confusion, it was a lot easier than I had imagined. I don't have to go back tomorrow so I have a 3 day weekend. I think I might have a 3 day weekend all year because I was asked which day I did not want to work - the job has its perks.

Now, all I have to do is fill out some paperwork I have to turn in on Monday to get my French social security number and open a bank account. I also might have found a placed to live that is FULLY furnished - with cups, plates, spoons, and all for only 340€ a month!

Let the weekend begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment